Pistol Patent Day

 



February 25 is pistol patent day. In 1835 Samuel Colt received the revolver patent. The first handheld guns were created to be shot from the back of a horse. For all western lovers here in this part of the country this marks a day to remember the history of handheld firearms including the revolver. Idaho in the 1800s wouldn't have been the safest place to live or ride or work and having a firearm on you wasn't just a right but was a necessity for safety and protection. Of course, like in all life, then and now, there are always bad guys and good guys and unfortunately both bad and good would have carried and shot these guns. The good to protect the bad for greed. 

As a former Texan and now an Idaho resident for 10 years, I grew up watching old westerns, or at least playing in the same room where my father watched them religiously on his days off work. In addition to Star Trek of course. I always associated cowboys and westerns with growing up and my father. I learned to shoot while in the Air Force, though I honestly wasn't very good at. Nowdays, I no longer own a firearm and do not have access to any due to having been diagnosed with depression and PTSD and having a child with mental health issues as well. However, I think its important to remember the history and to teach firearm safety to anyone who might use one. I also think those of us with mental health disorders should not be allowed to have them. I know this viewpoint may make some angry but I feel I can say this as someone who falls into this category myself. 

I still like to go shooting from time to time with my husband who makes sure I'm safe and OK. Two nearby shooting ranges to practice shooting safely include on in St. Anthony and on located off Yale Kilgore Road in Island Park. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Police Reports

IP News: A Small Town Paper with a Big Heart

March Happenings